SEO to me was very much just like fishing, you sit there for ages waiting for a bite, never knowing if you are in the right place, have the right bait or technique.
Coming from a sales background where results in many cases was instant to SEO where much of your efforts become unnoticed for months sometimes years. Well I have had to learn a very important skill and that is to be patient and methodical.
Like any type of success whether its body building, painting pictures or building a house, it all takes time and a strict routine.
SEO can be very intimidating and misleading with so many forums and guesswork going on, not knowing which argument is correct or advice to take. Well here are some basic principles I have picked up over time.
1. KISS – Keep It Short and Simple. The truth still stands that less is more, sites that do well have a clear and concise message and aren’t cluttered with extra stuff. I know I leave a site straight away if I see an affiliate banner on a home page or don’t understand what its about very quickly. Look at Google site, there is nothing on their search window apart from the essential menu.
2. All services and products should be easily accessible, the 3 click theory. It should take the customer 3 clicks to get where they want on your site.
3. Make sure your menu is easy for search engines to follow. Text based links are always best.
4. Go after good quality inbound links. Passed experience has shown the harder it is to get a link from a site generally means the site is better. Try and get relevant sites to link to you, difficult if they are competition.
5. Definitely have a site map, this helps spiders and surfers navigate your site.
6. Write good articles about the industry you’re in and submit them to article sites.
7. Bookmark your site on social bookmark sites using widgets like AddThis Social Bookmark Button
8. Keep adding good content to your site.
This is just basic stuff that I do, the main thing is just to be patient and religious in your routine. Content is everything keep adding each day a bit at a time. The long tail theory really works, the more content you have the more keywords you will appear for, don’t just try and compete on the same keywords as everyone else. Happy SEOing