Creating black and white photos in Photoshop is quite useful and easy. We will learn basic de-saturation and other ways to influence the color of the photo without destroying our pervious settings. Art College students usually learn this within the first week of Photoshop class. I suggest using un-destructive filters when ever possible to save your original photo.
1) Open Photoshop, Press [Ctrl + N] to open a new document. (Web – 800×600px – Landscape)
2) Press [M] to select Marquee Tool for the region you want Black and White. For this example I will split it down the middle. You can select the whole photograph by pressing (Ctrl + A). **Make sure your image has color, durrrr**
3) Using the easy way press: (Shift + Ctrl + U)
NOW —- Stepping back to step 2, I will now display the un-destructive way:
3) On the Layers Panel go to ‘Adjustment Layer’ and add ‘Black and White’ to the selection.
4) When you apply the ‘Black and White’ you will notice another layer added to the layers panel, this layer can be triggered on/off so your photo is never actually affected from the black and white effect. When you choose the adjustment layer with Black and White you have more options to adjust the contrast based on the original color of the image.
That’s how you create a black and white image – fast and super easy.