Pie Graphs are a visually pleasing way to display data. Each piece of the pie is a percentage of data. Using Illustrator I create a simple and effective pie chart which you could use in a presentation. This shouldn’t take longer than a hour to create at max, even if your a noob. I assume you have basic skills with illustrator and can handle the terms or google them, seriously…
I will try to add the source file so you can start your project. Hope that helps.
Here we go…
1) Open Illustrator, Press [Ctrl + N] to open a new document. (Web – 800×600px – Landscape)
2) Using your Pie Graph Tool, create a box about half the size of the document. Type anything into the box columns of data. make it basic – I used 1, 2, 3, 4. Click ‘Apply’ at the top right to confirm the data. You will see the pie chart appear. I also made sure to save my project.
3) Move the data graph out of the way. Using the Selection Tool [V] highlight the whole graph. Remove the stoke from the outer pie chart, this will eliminate the ugliness in the future.
4) Using your Selection Tool [V], select pie chart again and begin to make the color support ‘RGB’.
5) Oddly…..use your Direct Selection Tool [A], select pie pieces and begin to make the color support ‘RGB’. Do this for each piece.
6) Change each piece color with something light and bright. I use blue, orange, yellow, green.
7) Select the whole pie chart [V] and: Go to (Effect > 3d > Extrude & Bevel).
8) Press Preview so you can view the 3D object in real-time while updating. I used a custom number to find the perspective which my pie chart needed to be visible. Press Ok to confirm.
9) Last Step: Using [A], take each piece and move them apart to give more perspective and depth. You can also focus the attention on a certain part of the data.
Well, That’s how you make a pie chart in illustrator. Great for beginners or people interested in marketing, accounting or anything data oriented.