1. Note how the animal uses its lips, tongue, and teeth in feeding herunterladen. Is it a ruminant?
2. In what order does the animal use its feet? Look up the definition of walk, run, gallop, canter, trot, lope, single foot, pace herunterladen. Which of these forms of locomotion are optional with the animal?
3. Describe the process when the animal lies down and gets up.
4. Describe the covering of the animal, noting its length, fineness, etc microsoft office kostenlos downloaden vollversion deutsch chip. What variations in different regions of the body?
5. Is the animal alert or sluggish? Upon what senses does it most depend? What mental characteristics are most marked, e.g.curiosity, fear, suspicion.
6. Note any movements of the ear. What is gained by these movements?
7. What is the position of the eye? What is the shape and direction of the pupil? Reason?
8. What means has the animal for getting away from its enemies.
Observations based upon museum trip or natural history.
1. Identify as many ungulates as you can; for example, buffalo, musk ox, big-horn sheep, Rocky Mountain goat, chamois, antelope, giraffe, red deer, elk, moose, reindeer, wild boar, peccary, rhinoceros, zebra, hippopotamus.
2. Answer the following questions about each:—
a. What is the family, scientific name?
b. What is the size of the animal? the relative length of the hind and fore legs? the relative length of the neck?
c. What is the nature of the covering of the animal?
e. What is the habitat of the animal? its distribution and social life?
In a short thesis summarize the facts you have found out about ungulates, using the following outline:—
1. Why called ungulates? Variation in number of toes.
2. General fact about the food of ungulates. The two divisions.
3. The general adaptations for protection.
4. The social life of the ungulates.
5. The native ungulates of the United States.
6. Commercial uses and value.