Water bugs and beetles of several species in small aquaria covered with a wire net herunterladen.
1. With what legs does the bug swim? Describe their appearance and tell how used and how fitted for this use. Which legs are not used in swimming herunterladen?
2. Remove the bug from the water for a moment to test other methods of locomotion, as jumping, crawling, flying. What do you discover?
3 microsoft office kostenlos downloaden vollversion deutsch chip. Watch the bug as it gets a fresh supply of air, and describe the process. Where is the air stored for use when under water? Does the bug sink or rise when it stops swimming? Why?
4. Identify the bug’s mouth parts. What is their appearance and probable manner of use? How are the forelegs fitted for grasping food?
5. What is the shape of the body? What is the position of the wings? Do the two cover (fore) wings meet in a straight line or do they cross at their tips? Are they smooth throughout and sheath-like, or are they thick at the base and thin at the tips?
Summarize your study of the bug by enumerating the various ways the bug is adapted for life in the water.
Use the same questions for the study of water beetles as for water bugs. In addition answer the following:—
1. Identify the eyes of the whirligig beetle and note their peculiar construction. How can you explain this peculiar form of the eyes on the basis of use? Why are the antennæ of both water bugs and beetles so small?
a. The dorsal view of both bug and beetle.
b. Ventral view of the bug’s head to show the beak and first pair of legs.