An Insect adapted to Aerial Life
Mounted specimens of dragon flies, some moist preserved specimens, living specimens if practicable, simple lenses herunterladen.
1. Identify the three regions of the body and note the presence of a distinct neck. What is the length of the insect herunterladen? What is its general form? If you have living specimens, discover what movements the head and abdomen are capable of making.
2. What is the position and general character of the wings microsoft office kostenlos downloaden vollversion deutsch chip? Explain how these wings are made very efficient for flying. Why should they not fold?
3. For what do the legs seem best adapted? Why?
4. Note the size of the eyes and of the antennæ? How do you account for the great size of the eyes and the relatively small antennæ?
5. What is the type of mouth parts, biting or sucking? If you have living dragon flies, try feeding them flies or mosquitoes and note how they are seized.
6. The food of dragon flies is mosquitoes and flies caught while on the wing. In what various ways is the dragon fly specialized for getting food in this manner?
How is the dragon fly fitted for its aerial life with respect to its body, means and method of locomotion, sense organs, kind of food and manner of obtaining it?
a. Dorsal view, showing veining of one wing.