A Gigabyte can be any number from 1,000,000,000 bytes to 1,073,741,824 bytes. That is a 7% difference. How Big is your Hard Drive, USB Stick, or Memory?
Kilo = 1000 -1024 Bytes
Mega = 1000-1024 Kilo
Giga = 1000-1024 Mega
For those of you whom do not know what a gigabyte is, it is a multiple of the unit byte for information stored digitally. The “giga” means 109 in the International System of Units (SI), therefore 1 gigabyte is 1000000000bytes. The unit symbol for the gigabyte is GB or Gbyte.
Some examples of gigabyte storage:
- One hour of SDTV video at 2.2 Mbit/s is approximately 1 GB.
- Seven minutes of HDTV video at 19.39 Mbit/s is approximately 1 GB.
- 114 minutes of uncompressed CD-quality audio at 1.4 Mbit/s is approximately 1 GB.
- A DVR can hold about 4.7 GB.
- A dual-layered Blue-ray disc can hold about 50 GB.